Kindergarten End of Year Celebration, June 5th at 9:30 in the Cafeteria

Monday, August 15, 2011

You are safe with me

I am certain many have heard the adage, "Rules are made to be broken".  I feel it would be counterproductive for me to have "rules" and post them as such.  Clearly, I must have expectations of my learners as it is necessary to manage the ebb and flow of our time together.  But, more than that, when the children promise to:

  1. Follow directions quickly
  2. Raise your hand
  3. Make smart choices
  4. Listen when others speak
  5. Make your teacher happy
they are sowing the seeds of skills they can utilize across the span of their life.  Of course, they won't raise their hands at a board meeting, but waiting to be acknowledged and listening when others speak are norms expected in mainstream society.  

As I have expectations of my learners, I think they should expect much of me.  I want them to expect me to be prepared, to be patient and to be kind among other things.  I want them to know that I will do all I can to safeguard not only their physical well-being while they are with me, but their social-emotional selves as well.  Our classroom management program is based on a stroke of genius found on Fairy Dust Teaching created by Sally Haughey (thanks again to my malomee for finding this).  This management system provides each learner with a kangaroo and a pouch.  The five principles of behavior act as the foundation for classroom decorum.  If a learner is having difficulty adhering to one or more of the guidelines, it is a perfect opportunity for me to redirect the behavior.  If the learner chooses not to comply, their kangaroo will leave their pouch for the safety of mine.  When the learner is ready to modify their behavior, they will return to their own pouch.  Consequences will be reasonable and logical, and adhere to the districtwide  Positive Behavior Support system currently in place.
I have been positively influenced by Love and Logic, Whole Brain Teaching, and Responsive Classroom.
Working hand-in-hand with families as active partners, the cooperation in the classroom the children demonstrate today will hopefully be the foundation of productive, world-class citizens of tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastico! Beautifully written. Glad I waited to see it like this. PS: I love malomee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly, Deda for stopping by and reading the blog. Please come back often to see what we are up to!
    malomee is the dearest kindred spirit I have had the great fortune to know and love.
    See you soon in the post,
    m

    ReplyDelete