Kindergarten End of Year Celebration, June 5th at 9:30 in the Cafeteria

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"I'm done! Now what do I do?"

I use routines to assist in effective classroom management.  There is a small poster in class above the "All Done" bin that holds completed work.  It has the acronym C.R.O.W.  Next to each letter there is a picture.  I have explained and demonstrated to the children what they can choose to do when they have completed their work.  C- clean up, R- read (the pictures in a book), O- other work, W- write.  The children absolutely amazed me when I saw a couple of them go to the Name Word Wall and begin to write a new friend's name.




The children are learning that reading the pictures is reading.  When they are done, they get a sheet of paper and draw what happened first, next, last (we are working on this, which will be a good segue to expository writing).
One of the kiddos enjoying read to self.
Even at this young age, establishing routines in the classroom help build work and time management skills.  It also helps create an organized and predictable environment where the children can feel safe and secure.



2 comments:

  1. I want to be in your class. I am going to copy all your great ideas. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! Absolutely, copy away, I want to share!

    ReplyDelete